Friday, June 5, 2009

cold war

so i have a cold. fabulous timing. actually, is there ever a good time for a cold? does anyone ever say 'gee i wish i could get a cold this week... i would love to not be able to breath comfortably today.' i'm pretty sure it was caused by a few factors: 1. the dramatically changing weather we have every day here. 2. the fact that i got caught in a downpour and had to sit in a restaurant soaking wet 3. i work too much and am constantly stressed out 4. i'm sure i was at some point exposed to some other person carrying this sickness and they passed it along to me.

it didn't help that i had to be at a networking event at 7 this morning. i wanted to die the entire time i was there. and tomorrow i have a booth at soccer game. most likely it will be raining. so i will be standing outside in the rain... with a cold... wishing i could die... for nine hours. lets hope that either it is a nice temperature outside and my cold clears up in the night or it rains heavily and my boss has mercy on me and says forget it. he let me leave early today (meaning at 5 PM instead of staying until 9 PM so it was only a 10 hour day instead of 14) even though we had the big party that i've been saying i would stay for since before we opened. i think mostly i looked like death and he didn't want the party host to see me or think i had been any where near the food. totally understandable. ann (the lady who i share an office with) tells me i work too much. she says if anyone ever asks me 'do you think you work too much?' i'm supposed to say yes. she told me that today. i explained to her that 1. i'm a workaholic and 2. if i don't do it no one else will. that's not me like being a crazy control freak, there just isn't anyone in the store who is trained to help. james and i have discussed training ann to help me, so she better watch out b/c before she knows she will be working too much too.

i keep a list of outstanding projects on my white board that i check off and erase as i finish large projects. for the last two weeks there have been about 6 large projects that i haven't been able to complete and i got mad today and I just erased them. a few hours later ann turns to me and was like wow you don't have any outstanding projects! and then i had to explain that i had just errased them b/c i was sick of looking at them but i still had to do them. ::sigh:: i'll probably write them back on there on monday... or i will forget them. which is worse: forgetting that you need to do something and not doing it or knowing that you need to do something and not doing it? i can't decide.

ann is a very good wingman. she is currently trying to get me set up with omk. we both think he is a fabulous man so she is doing everything she can to get that to work out. here's to hoping she succeeds. she always signals me when he's going to come into the office and is also very good about directing his attention to me. i adore her and her wingman skills. :)

2 comments:

Abigail said...

You work more than Jen!! Then again I was never quite sure when she came in to work some days.

I hope you get over your cold quickly!

Elaina said...

yeah i'm not sure what it is but something about D&B sales turns adult women into machines. i always tell people i was sane before i started work there. and now some days... well... i just don't know anymore. i'm so afraid of what's going to happen in october. i mean if i'm working 50 hours a week now what will party season be like?! the only thing that keeps me sane is the fact that i'm being paid hourly. if i was still salaried i probably would've jumped off the roof.

do you know what is absurd about this week? i got a terrible cold and took a half day one day and left early two other days this week and i clocked out with my than 47 hours this week. could you imagine if i hadn't gotten sick?!

bah and i have a good two solid hours of paper work sitting on my desk just waiting to be done. i want to cry.