Friday, September 21, 2012

life

i was talking to a friend at work today and i told him about some plan i have and his response was something along the lines of 'you shouldn't do that... you're just going to be disappointed / get hurt.'

ok, for starters, i think it's a depressing outlook on life to assume that everything is always going to end badly.  like sometimes, things work out, ya know?  sure, usually they don't at all, but sometimes they do.   at some point in life i have to get what i want, don't i?

and then my next thought was, if i let the fear of being disappointed or hurt stop me from doing things i wanted to do, why then, i would never do anything... ever... at all.  i know things rarely (if ever) work out the way we expect them to. and i know that expectations vs reality is a cruel lesson we all learn over and over. but i don't think that should stop a person from taking chances, embracing change and, more importantly, being an agent of change in their own life.

the moral of the story: it's a good thing andrew doesn't tell me what to do.

along the same line of thought, i feel as though i'm finally getting to a point that i could settle down and stay a place for a while... if i found the right place.  and california is not the right place (side note: people who love california, or have never left california, will never understand this.  they are so blinded by their love for california that they don't see it for what it is.  and what exactly is it?  it's a place where some people love to live and others do not.) and i'm not exactly sure where the right place is, but i feel like a person should try to figure that out.

i would like to live some place that has seasons with trees that change (i am willing to exchange that for snow). a place that has a sense of community to it.  some place where you can ride a bike or go hiking.  a comedysportz team not too far away is important to me (that probably seems silly but it's really important to me). a diversity of cultural experiences should be available.  some good restaurants that aren't chains.  and some body of water that isn't too terribly far away.

and that's my list so far.  so keep an eye out for a place like that so i can move there. the current list toppers are seattle and salt lake city.  if you hear about job openings in either area, please let me know!

1 comment:

Laurel said...

I don't think I would like Seattle long term. I like rain, but not as much as it rains there, I'd much prefer snow. Although, its very green in Washington and that is pleasant. My dad used to say to beware of green places, because that means lots of rain.

I liked living in SLC, the weather was very nice for my tastes and its very clean. There are also lots of cultural events, plays, concerts, symphonies etc. The public transportation is also very good. It is very dry, which is nice b/c the cold didn't feel too cold and it makes for nice snow, but I did have to use A LOT of lotion and conditioner.