Tuesday, August 3, 2010

random thoughts

i think our memories are a rolodex that are filed under senses. for example i can smell something and instantly in my brain i think of the train at knott's berry farm. or i hear 'soak up the sun' by sheryl crow and i can taste rootbeer in my mouth.

along the same lines i feel like my brain is very easily programmed into automatic responses. i only have to see something done once or twice before it becomes an automatic response. for example, whenever that song 'billionaire' would come on kevin would always say i hate this song and change the station. now, whenever i hear that song starting i think 'i hate this song' and change the station. i've never even heard the song, so i don't know that i hate... it's just the automatic response i have programmed in my brain. or at work there's this one song that when it comes on i can't stop myself from asking caitlin 'do you know what movie this is in?' because she asked me that the first time it came on. i don't do it because i want to but because i have to. maybe it's a form of turrets.

i feel like these associations are stronger when there is some sort of emotion tied to it.

i also feel like some times we remember things like a polaroid, a snap shot of a moment. you'll be sitting there thinking about whatever and then suddenly this picture from the past, a 20 second time capsule will pop into your mind out of no where. and that usually leads to a chain reaction of picture after picture of memory moments flashing through the mind. i like when that happens. it happened to me this evening. it wasn't particularly good memories, but not bad either. just little pieces of my life. and i say i remember, i remember.

lately i feel like a sponge that is completely filled with water and if you barely touch it water falls out. yes, that's indeed what i feel like. every last piece of me is at maximum capacity.

i generally don't like people when i meet them. i'm really trying to work on that. i was thinking about it this evening and of all the people i know in va there are probably 2 people who i liked when i met them. and 1 of those people isn't even my friend. it's not that she was my friend and now she isn't, we just have never become friends. so she's kind of a waste. i don't remember always being this way.

i'm reading the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy. i actually have the ultimate hitchhikers guide to the galaxy which contains 5 novels in the series. if i can get through this series i will be half way through my 10 books by the end of the year goal. here's to hoping it works out. setting a goal for a certain number of books has taken the wind out of my reading sails. i probably read about 20 books last year but i haven't been able to finish a single book this year. i've started many but have not finished one.

i really want to play laser tag.

3 comments:

Laurel said...

This morning Natalie asked to watch the movie with the dinosaur that is a scary movie that is your favorite. After some questioning I discovered that she was talking about The Neverending Story.

So now she is watching it. :)

Elaina said...

that's really funny! i wonder how she decided that!

Lildonbro said...

Next Friday let's go play laser tag...seriously. You need to get it out of your system.

I love your blog. If I could hug your blog and squeeze its little web-page at the waist, I would.

I believe that you do have a form of turrets, all I have to do is remember that time at the Cheesecake Factory as you lost that battle you were having with yourself not to repeat the guy. Have you ever seen Phoebe in Wonderland? I own it if you haven't.

I kind of do the same thing with the radio, I've driven with Amber so much that I make sure the volumn is on an even number (it's one of her things) and when it's on an odd number I feel like such a rebel.