Wednesday, March 31, 2010

i guess more than horses are turnin' into rats

i've been full of things to say lately. i think it's because i'm not watching tv any more. not even 30 rock. i know, right? i didn't give it up on purpose... it just kind of happened. and now it just never occurs to me to watch it. or maybe it's just because i have a lot going on in my head. funny side note, for a long time i refused to start a blog b/c i felt like i had nothing to say. turns out that wasn't true.

so tap lessons! they were amazing. i learned all sorts of new information. and now i'm getting ready for a recital in june. me! a recital! in june! i really can't wait. i'm going to tap my little heart out like no one has tapped before. i plan on taking up practicing on the stage in the backyard. it's made of wood so that should be perfect. i'm sure the neighbors will be quite surprised to look out and see an adult woman tap dancing in the backyard. and that's life.

i went running again tonight. now when i say i go running what i really mean is i jog until either my heart feels like it will explode or my legs attempt to detach from my torso and then i walk until i feel humanesque and then i start the process over again. i keep telling myself that we all have to start some where. the good news is i have started. anyway, i discovered tonight that i am terrified of running in the dark. it isn't so much the running but the idea of either a. tripping on some unseen object and becoming injured or b. getting hit by a car. neither of these things sounds great to me. when i started out this evening the sun was beginning to go down but i didn't think much of it because where i come from we have this thing called a "street light." unfortunately this technology has not yet made it's way to virginia. and soon i was attempting to jog home in the dark. this involved things such as jumping over imaginary holes and crossing the street to avoid a lurker who turned out to be a tree. you can never be too safe. trees can be dangerous!

on the subject of irrational fears, at work i'm constantly afraid that someone will come around a corner and accidentally stab me with a knife. this has always been a concern of mine in every store i work in.

i have 3 favorite things about running (and none of them are my legs detaching from my torso, oddly enough). 1. when you're running and you cross paths with another person who in engaging in some sort of outdoor activity (bike riding, dog walking, running) they wave and say hello because you're part of the family now. 2. i get to use my mp3 player (yes that's correct, mp3 player... not ipod. i bought it at target for like $30 and it's handy dandy notebook!). 3. saying you went running seems to be the coolest thing a person can do. i mean, i'm impressed by it and i'm the one doing it! i think laurel put it best when she said running is like showing up somewhere with a drink. you see, we have this theory that if you show up somewhere with a to go cup it shows all the people that you have been places and therefore are interesting and awesome. the same applies to running. i would like to believe that's true... because if you ask me, i'm interesting and awesome.

speaking of being awesome, here is a story about something dumb i did: so sunday morning i was getting ready to go to church and i was thinking about this guy who had been coming to church but i hadn't seen in a while. i was thinking about how i hoped he was doing ok and had just moved or something. keep in mind he wasn't someone i'd ever met before i had just seen him around and heard a couple stories about him in passing. anyway toward the end of church i see him standing in the hall talking to my roommate and i walk up and say 'i was thinking about you today!' and then he gave me a slightly confused look and i continued 'you don't know me, i'm elaina.' and then everyone laughed. in hindsight it was an extremely creepy thing to do. but i was just so excited to see him that i didn't think about it. and he was like 'uhmm was that a pickup line?!' which it totally wasn't. and i then attempted to explain why i had done what i did but at that point no one really cared to hear why i did it... they just knew i was nuts and that was all that mattered. thems the breaks.

so my new favorite old song is 'i would look good with you' by josh gracin. my favorite verse:

I'm a little too short
You're a hair too tall
I can but a stepladder aint no trouble at all
With my powers of persuasion
And your cheerleader smile
My uncanny way with numbers
And your middle class style
Hey baby, I would look good with you

i hope to date a shorter guy next so that i can giggle like a school girl whenever i hear this song. it's all about have the right priorities when selecting potential suitors.

friday night is the adventure to end all adventures and i'm realllllllllly excited. plus i convinced someone to go adventuring with me. it actually wasn't too difficult.
me: would you like to go adventuring friday night?
him: sure
me: ok show up at my house at 6, wear closed toe shoes and bring a flashlight.
him: ok.
pitures to follow i'm sure.

6 comments:

Laurel said...

This made me laugh out loud! You are my best friend.

Also- that song is an "old song?" I would think an old song would be by the Beetles or something. I like that song too and it always makes me think of you because of that part. It would never apply to me b/c I am just not that tall at all!

Also- They don't have street lights in Virginia? What kind of crazy place is that?

I'm excited to hear about the adventure!

Anonymous said...

Virginia is the kind of crazy place that just doesn't have street lights. True story- I've been there. I guess you could say I'm the guy who walked up with a to go cup in his hand!

Elaina, you should write a column in some newspaper or something.

I want to go adventuring!

Elaina said...

::hahaha:: i suppose it's not that old of a song but it's not new either. it's got to be close to 5 years old now. i just checked... the album came out in 2004! OLD.

now i really want to ask some newspaper to publish me! actually i have a really funny story about that i will post. stay tuned.

ps you guys should totally go adventuring. i don't know what else a person could want in life!

Kevin said...

They also don't have sidewalks in Virginia. Not even in the new subdivisions that have fancy curb thingies.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure I witnessed your introducing moment on Sunday, but I can't remember who it was with.

And ps, the word verification part below says "sturnur". I think that should be a word.

Elaina said...

i think virginia just hates pedestrians. there very many cross walks here either. why do they hate freedom?

it was during third hour in the foyer. it was the guy chris who used to be a missionary here but now he's a regular guy. it was awesome.

and yes, yes that should be a word. also, i noticed you didn't sign up to follow me. that's unfortunate.

Lildonbro said...

What a post!
I was cracking up!
OKay, so my parent's have street lights...our neighborhood does not. I wonder if I have to get some kind of permit to install a street light...a non motion sensored one because that's beginning to bug.
It's also good to know I'm not the only one with irrational fears (remember how tomorrow I don't want to run by the canal, I want to be closest to the wall?) Yeah...large bodies of water...not my favorite thing.
and I love the lurking tree :)