Saturday, February 12, 2011

move over ovi

this evening was a night for conquering fears. tonight i faced not just one but two of my fears. the first i knew i was going to be tackling and the second was a surprise. so, i have this fear of ice skating. my fear is primarily focused around falling and then having someone skate over my fingers and slice them off. also i'm afraid of falling. with ice skates on i'm over 6 feet tall. that's a long ways for my head to drop.

so we made our way to the skate nation tonight. i strapped on some skates and walked over to the rink. i was pleasantly surprised at how good i was at walking over to the rink and hoped that ice skating would turn out to be not as difficult as i remembered it being the last time i tried... 20 years ago.

right before i got on the ice i texted my friend and told her what i was about to do. she responded with what? last time i went i cracked my tail bone. and with that i got ready to take my first steps on to the ice. i got up to the little door on the ice and started having a melt down. i'm seriously surprised that i didn't puke or pass out. but after about 2 minutes of standing near the door yelling HOLD ON at my friends i went skating with i hesitantly took my first steps onto the ice.

the first lap around the rink took close to half an hour and involved me gripping the side railing in sheer terror. whenever anyone would get near me or suggest holding their hand i would yell GET AWAY FROM ME I'M AFRAID! which surprisingly works extremely well for getting people to leave you alone.

at any rate after about two hours i was able to complete a lap in a little under 10 minutes and without holding onto the side at all. taaadahhh! the only thing stopping me from zipping around that rink were the gathered masses of fear #2... teenagers.

gross.

i'm terrified of teenagers. especially in groups. they're reckless and mean and generally idiots. and they make me want to vomit on my ice skates. i would be skating along just fine and then i would suddenly find myself surrounded by teenagers which would make me freak out and forget how to remain erect on ice skates.

none the less, i survived the evening. i conquered ice skating and didn't have to rumble with any teenager gangs. so win for all parties.

in other news we had our first rehearsal last week for csz. it went well. we mostly did getting to know you games. by the end of rehearsal i had decided that there were two people in the group who i thought were cool and acceptable to me. so that's awesome b/c i generally dislike most people when i first meet them. and really 2 out of 30 is still disliking most people but 2 is a good start.

today i spent the majority of the day working at the theater. i did a lot of painting. i feel like i did tons of work but maybe i didn't really. i was there for over 7 hours though. i painted the ceiling. i got zapped by several lights. i painted a bathroom. i hung some posters. i helped move some stuff. oh, i ate some pizza. i got offered a possible job. yeah, that's pretty exciting actually. i'm just waiting to see how that turns out.

anyway, overall it was good day but i'm totally beat. i ache from my feet to my head but in a good i've accomplished things way. annnd i get to check off another thing from my 11 things to do before 2011 is over list! go me!

speaking of which i should post that list. hmmm.

1. drink butter beer
2. go to virginia beach
3. go on a boat
4. finish 5 paintings
5. audition for something - done
6. take an improv class
7. go ice skating - done
8. take trapeze lessons
9. take a cooking class
10. learn to juggle
11. finish reading a brief history of time

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Drink butterbeer until what? And that friend you texted with the tailbone was ME.