Saturday, May 30, 2009

garbage collector?


so i was just taking out the garbage and there was this sign about how you shouldn't get in the dumpster and it reminded me of that time laurel was taking the trash out and there was a man standing in the dumpster reading the newspaper. i imagine that story is a great ice breaker at parties.


i went to ukrops for the first time in my life today. i was only there briefly b/c i needed ears of corn and potato salad for a bbq i didn't go to. anyway, it seemed pretty amazing. like whole foods but not as cocky. i abhore whole foods b/c it's not a grocery store it's a life style. there is one in the same shopping center as my work and some times i am forced to go there by my boss. i always suggest going to the kroger across the street but rarely win b/c 1. whole foods is closer 2. whole foods carries weird ish in bulk 3. he likes his groceries with attitude. the orginal point i was trying to make is that i enjoy ukrops and i will probably go back there later to check it out more thoroughly... even though they employ weirdos en masse.
i have attached a picture of me with my umbrella. this is the first time i've used the umbrella b/c i'm usually out doing something and it randomly starts raining and i don't have it with me. funny thing, when i stepped out my door it was raining but by the time i got to my car (about 50 feet or 15 seconds later) it was totally done raining and i'm standing there using my umbrealla for the first time and it's not raining. thanks virginia.
i watched run fat boy run this morning. that movie is hilarious. omg i watched heroes today for the first time and i almost vomited. it was the first episode of season 3... there's this one scene... if you've watched it, i'm sure you know what i'm talking about. SO nasty. bah.
so last night my gm and i went to this party thing. it was a charity event that we were given tickets to b/c d&b gave a lot of money. charity event complete with live band, silent auction and awkwardness. yay! the woman running the thing found us at one point and asked about how things were going and such and when she walked away james said something along the lines of how do you think she recognized us... do you think it's b/c we were wearing shoes for crews? which was totally hilarious if you were there. but hey at least someone was going to pay for our medical bills if we had happened to slip and fall. i think it was b/c we were the two people not dressed up standing in the corner looking totally uncomfortable and out of place.
at any rate, he is a good boss and i enjoy him greatly. i'm very lucky to have such a good gm. they don't come around too often. makes my job a lot easier. never any references to monkies doing things to footballs or attempts to kick my shoes out from under me. additionally, he knows i do a good job. that's one of the nice things about sharing an office with him. he knows what i'm doing all the time. gives people less chances to start thinking you aren't doing what you should be. ::hahaha:: anyway. (sorry i had a moment there) he told me yesterday that he was talking to my agm and said 'i don't know what it was like where you came from but elaina works more than any other special events i've ever seen.' it just made me feel good to hear that b/c no one ever says anything about whether or not i'm doing a good job (actually people mostly just yell at me a lot) so it's good to hear that i am doing a good job.
he's just not that into you comes out on tuesday!!! SO excited.
heads up californians- i'm going to try to make a trip out in july. keep your fingers crossed!

4 comments:

Laurel said...

When in July? We are having a big 4th party and Natalie's birthday is on the 6th. Whenever you come, we should go to Disneyland!

I'm scared of the man in the dumpster. I mean, we don't have a dumpster anymore, but if we did, and if there was a man in it, I would be scared.

What's it like to be special events all by your lonesome?

Elaina said...

i would be scared of the dumpster man too. i've never seen a mad in a dumpster. when i lived in san diego there were cats in the dumpster. you would throw the trash in a cats would come flying out. the first time it happened it scared so bad and i yelled "CATS!" which was hilarious to me. i think i normally reaction would be to yell some bad word and not cats.

being in special events alone is interesting. it's sad b/c i have no one in the room to vent to ut i can always call people and vent i suppose. it's nice to be in charge. but it sucks to have to do all my own paper work and stuff. it gets overwhelming but i muscle through it.

i've been very busy since the store opened and some days i want to just sit in my corner of the office and cry.

also i like to pretend to shhh (or is it shush?) people in my head. b/c i share an office it gets loud but i have a strict no shh-ing adults policy so in my head i do it a lot. ha. some days i still am shocked that this is my life. like i was coming home the other night and i put my key in the door and was like wow i'm an adult and this is my apartment and i'm in virginia. how did this happen? i get 'phantom arm' feelings still about ca. like i will think i'm in ca and then realize i'm not.

i'm not sure when in july. i was hoping to go to DC for the 4th but i don't know if i actually will. i still have to figure out vacation with work and who will do my work when i'm gone and all that. shenanigans!

Abigail said...

whole foods really is cocky and that's the truth. There was one in Utah that we stopped at one day thinking it'd be cheaper to grab something at the "grocery store" instead of a food place. . .ya, didn't happen, probably cost double what we'd have paid at a food joint.

I like your umbrella it's fun.

Run Fat Boy Run is funny, I totally agree. And Heroes is disgusting. It freaks me out. Jordan loves it but I make him watch it alone. Of course then he thinks he needs to tell me about it and I'm like, no, there's a reason I don't watch it!!

Laurel said...

Yelling "CATS!" is hilarious.

I get phantom feelings about Ontario. Last time I was there I got this overwhelming feeling of nostalgia. I really wanted to move back there, back into our old complex and everything, it was crazy. Then I calmly told myself that Victorville is much better for us now, which it is. And then I thought about what it would be like to try and move all our stuff back into a two bedroom apartment, and then all the nostalgia passed!

Natalie sees pictures of you on our walls and tells me, "Aunt Elaina!" She would be glad to see you again.