Saturday, March 3, 2012

who has that much time?

i spend a lot of time pretending. a few months back i was getting worried that maybe i spend too much time pretending, seeing as how i'm an adult. you see, i don't ever plan to start pretending. this is how it goes...
elaina's brain: i never get giant lollipops anymore. giant lollipops were so much fun. i wish i had a giant lollipop right now.
and next thing i know my fist is out in front of me and i'm licking the air.
which is not something you want to get caught doing out in public. ps, yes the above is a real life example... from today. i wish people played pretend still. why can't we play house or pretend to be astronauts? i want to act like i'm easting plastic cookies with other adults! it isn't fair.

this is why i think improv was so good for me. it gave me an outlet to pretend in and to pretend with other adults. one moment you're sitting there and the next moment you're all 'look at me, i'm this guy's girlfriend and we're fighting in public' or 'hey guys, someone needs to disarm this bomb STAT.' and then you go back to your normal life where you aren't going to be fighting with anyone in public any time soon and no one asks you to do anything STAT.

i have had many interesting experiences in my life. here is a story about that. i used to work at starbucks. at starbucks we sold both sliced lemon pound cake and lemon bundt cake. we had this man who would come in nearly every day and one day he asked for the lemon cake and i asked him pound or bundt... he said "not the pound... ARGH... no man wants to say BUNDT." i don't know why, but this has really stuck with me through the years. and now whenever i am angry with a male i always try to get them to say bundt.

i went to some tide pools yesterday in laguna. i enjoy tide pools b/c of the sea anemones. i like how when you poke them they are grabby and they close up. i get a kick out of the fact that i can just walk up to something and annoy it. i'm suuuper paranoid about being annoying in real life so the sea anemones give me a chance to let off a little steam. while i was there i saw a sea star that was as big as two of my hands. i've never seen anything like it in the wild before. it was pretty sweet.

being at the tide pools made me think about how i have seen a lot of really cool stuff in my life. one of the most incredible things i have ever seen is the red tide at night. that was amazing. there is an algae that when the waves crash it makes them light up neon blue. also your footsteps in the sand glow. and a few months ago a sat on a rock next to a monk seal in the wild. there are less than 1,200 monk seals left on the planet. and, i've seen mermaids. BAM.

today, all i wanted to do was to eat an ice cream cone while sitting on the grass. didn't happen b/c there is no place to get a good ice cream cone in these parts. SAD. the other day i said to my mom 'where's the nearest creamery?' and she looked at me like i was nuts. b/c, well, yeah. best creamery i've ever been to? it's in north carolina. i don't know what it's called but kevin took me there. here is a picture from that day.


we look so young and happy. i miss that guy. he'll be home soon, come to think of it. hmmph. but this isn't about kevin... this is about ice cream. and really all i want is an ice cream cone. a cone. from some place that doesn't have a drive through window. or sell yogurt. or belong to a chain. i know this is asking for a lot in chino hills. but COME ON. look how happy i used to be!

finally, indulge me in being a girl for a moment... but i super love this song! it's about me!

3 comments:

Abigail said...

"a sea star that was as big as two of my hands"

It'd have just been crazy if that star fish required your third hand to measure it's size! It's be like mutant....not unlike people with more than two hands.......

Anne said...

Oh man...now I want ice cream, too! From Maple View -- that's the creamery in NC. :)

Diane said...

I get to pretend to play hockey EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! And this afternoon I was a construction worker. I also put an astronaut to bed tonight. You need to just come live with me and we'll play pretend all the time.