Sunday, July 25, 2010

my bestie

kevin leaves on his mission tomorrow. in honor of his departure, a list of my top ten favorite kevin moments. in no particular order:

10. the time i punched him in the stomach and as he doubles over he simply says "i've never been hit."

9. the first time i hung out with him we were at the movies and he totally commandeered my slurpee. months later when we talked about it he thought i was so generous b/c i was willing to share. i thought he was so weird for stealing some girl's slurpee.

8. sitting in the celestial room talking about our thoughts on life.

7. sitting on the porch talking late at night, watching the fire flies go by. it was the night that i had my inspiration for my fire fly analogy. for me, kevin was the epitome of a fire fly friendship. to be perfectly honest when i first met kevin i didn't like him much. ::hahaha:: i mean, the guy stole my slurpee! but, once i got to know him, it was impossible to imagine how i ever got a long without him.

6. in the dc celestial room there's an area near the ceiling that kind of sticks out, one time kevin said that he imagines that's where the angels sit. i always think about that whenever i'm there now.

5. when i found out my dad had cancer he was the person i called, the person i knew i could be a mess in front of. he came and sat with me all evening. i think i will miss this most of all... having him to turn to for support.

4. learning to bake bread... and then taking it to people.

3. all the time we've spent in the car. so much time in the car. singing along to the radio. talking. usually going no where at all. one afternoon we spent about three hours in the car driving around downtown richmond trying to find a cemetery. we found about 6 of them but by the time we found the one we wanted it was closed. but neither one of us cared.

2. one time we were sitting in the celestial room and one of the workers was walking around and he turned to me and said that's what i imagine you doing... hanging out in the celestial room all day. i just thought that was the best compliment a person could ever give.

1. the time he emailed me and said "i wrote a poem about my feelings for you" but really he meant "i wrote a poem about my feelings, for you [to read]." i still laugh when i think about that day.

and a bonus: this song the other night as we were driving back from the temple in raleigh this song started playing... and i started sobbing. ::hahaha:: luckily for kevin he was totally asleep (or was at least pretending to be asleep) so he didn't have to deal with me, once again, crying. my poor little robot!

my life has changed so much over the last 3 months. i have been truly blessed to have kevin as my bestie during these times. he was exactly the person i needed to get through some rough times. it was so reassuring to know that it was possible to spend time with someone and not feel like i constantly needed to entertain them. to be with someone and just be comfortable with being me. i don't know how i will get through the next few days without turning into a puddle, let alone the next two years. but, i have to say that i am extremely proud of kevin and his decision to serve the Lord. i know his life will be richly blessed and i look forward to seeing the way he grows and changes over the next two years. i know the Lord will provide for him... and will provide for me. you will be great, buddy!

and now, some of my favorite pictures of our adventures:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have the hugs for you.

Lildonbro said...

Oh I am so far behind on blogs...but your entry made ME miss him and I was only there for like one of the things (the commandeering of the slurpee).