Wednesday, June 2, 2010

location, location, location

so today i was thinking about how i wish i knew of a nice place to go sit and think. a place that is calm and safe and just feels still. i have this mental image of what it should feel like. i suppose a feeling isn't a mental image. it's a mental feeling, which is better than feeling mental. at any rate i spent a considerable amount of time trying to figure out where this place was this morning. slowly the details were coming to me.

it's dark there.
it's cool.
it's on a hill.
you can see all the city lights sparkling like a million diamonds.

and then i remembered! i've been trying to find the hill behind the house i grew up in. sadly, that hill is some 3000 miles away and it's not a place i will be sitting tonight. or tomorrow. none the less, i would still like to find a place to think here in richmond. i could use a good think. there is much going on in life right now.

the other night i sat on the front steps, watching the fireflies flicker by in the middle of the night. there's nothing i love in this world as much as watching the fireflies. and i will tell you why. i think fireflies are like getting to know someone. generally when you get to know someone you're just going along and then suddenly you will have these moments when you see that person for who they really are, in all their wonderful glory. you thought they were just some regular bug flying around and then suddenly in an instant you can see what this person really is, and it's magnificent, beautiful, uniquely them. and that's not something you forget.

this leads me to my theories on relationships. which i will happily share with you, my lovely bloggies. i think as you get to know someone you will have these firefly moments, if you will. and each time you do a golden, silk thread is tied from your heart to the other person's. sometimes you will be tied to a person by 5 strands, sometimes 5,000. the more strands you have, the greater a bond there is with that person. and by the time you're getting ready to be married to a person you have so many strands that you're connected by a thick rope. when a couple is married in the temple for all eternity that rope is turned into something like a thick steel cable, unbreakable. and this is why it's so important to share of yourself.

i feel like this explanation doesn't do the mental image that i have justice, but that's the only way i know to describe the feeling i have.

i hate folding laundry. i'd just like to throw that out there. i'm only one person and yet there seems to be a never ending supply of clothing to wash and fold. do i really need to wear clothes every day?!? yes, i suppose i do.

i've been sitting, waiting, wishing.

5 comments:

britt said...

i really love the way you describe relationships. what a beautiful way to look at it. i hope you've written that down in a journal.

I hate folding laundry!!! its the most awful chore ever.

i'll go visit the hill for you soon. :)

Laurel said...

1. I miss that hill too. One time when I was in college I suggested to someone that we go to a hill at night and eat a picnic and look at the view. This person took me on a HIKE UP A MOUNTAIN AT NIGHT WITH NO FLASHLIGHTS! That was not what I meant.

2. I love that description of the tiny threads and the steel cable. And I think that it is important to keep sharing of yourself after you get married, to maintain and strengthen your cable. Reading that made me think: "I love my husband." Actually, it really made me think: "I love David!" but you know, that's what he is.

3. I hate folding laundry too, so much so that most of the time we generally keep the clean clothes for the entire family in a big pile on the floor in my room. I am trying to remedy that now, one dryer load at a time.

4. I am up late tonight for a crazy reason . . . I will fill you in tomorrow in email form.

5. Haha! I just realized that I brought back the numbers!

Amber Lanae- said...

Elaina,
First-I miss you x 1000.
Second-your imagery of the fireflies and the concept of strings was beautiful. I agree with you.
Third-I think we all know that I hate folding laundry too, especially since I am perfectly content leaving clothes in the drier. (In fact, there is a load in my drier as I type this and I won't divulge how long it has been there)

Love you!

Lildonbro said...

I now have a jack johnson song stuck in my head, mingled with jack's mannequin song. Jack Johnson is your fault, Jack's is the song where he is like, "I put on the same clothes I wore yesterday. When did society decide that we had to change
And wash a tee shirt after every individual use: If it's not dirty, I'm gonna wear it."

And I love your thoughts on fireflies. I have a place I go to sit and think, two actually, but you can't sit there after dark. The first is by the lake at University of Richmond, the second is by the river at Hollywood Cemetery. You are welcome to borrow them...but again, those are day time places ok??

Daniel said...

I love your thoughts on fireflies (just like everyone else here). It's so very true and I feel that way all the time. I should've stayed out and watched more of fireflies, even if it would've meant getting bitten by more bugs.

ps. Sorry I slacked off on the slave labor after the strawberry picking. Speaking of which, I seemed to have the fewest strawberries so I wasn't even good at that