Thursday, January 14, 2010

i got your crazy

dear beyonce, only buzz is allowed to say to infinity and beyond.

so tuesday morning ann & i went to this networking mixer thing for the chamber. it was at ridiculously early o'clock in the morning but it was at the new hilton so i was set on going. side note, the new hilton is really beautiful but seriously this area has WAY too many hotels. i feel bad for the sales managers at these places. in a five mile radius we probably have at least 15 hotels. shoot i can think of at least 5 that are two miles or less from the store!

anyway, we're at this meeting and basically they go around and you have 30 seconds to introduce yourself and say what you do. i told ann we could stand up together and i would do all the talking since this was her first time and it's a lot of pressure to having 50+ adults looking at you (i typically forget what i'm supposed to say, turn bright red and then yell something embarrassing... like 'i'll be your personal ambassador to fun!' and then people are like uhmm what do you do?!). my experience at this event made me realize that my calling in life is actually to do stand up comedy for old business men. who would have thought?! long story short we stood up and i introduced us as dave and buster from dave & buster's and then the people were practically rolling on the floor. i doubt that joke will ever again get such a reaction. people were throwing their hats in the air. if they had babies with them they would've have been throwing their babies. i think someone even threw some confetti. it was just the oddest thing in the entire world... mostly because i don't think that joke is very funny. in fact if i'm ever working an offsite event and there is someone there with me, i ALWAYS get asked 'which one is dave and which one is buster?' by the end of the event by some old business man. i guess that joke is just really big with old business men.

i don't know why i had the desire to tell that story.

i've been soda and fried food free for about a week and a half now. take that soda and fried foods! my next goal is to get into a regular exercise routine. i'd love to start riding my bike again. hey virginia, do you hear that? i want to ride my bike... stop being FREEZING COLD. to quote ann, 'it's right cold here.'

tomorrow we have a lunch meeting at the chamber offices. i love the chamber office because it's in the business district of downtown richmond and going there makes me feel like mary tyler moore. i love the feel of the city when i'm there. i love walking down the streets and pretending i work there. every time i'm there i fall more in love with the city and buys virginia a few more months of my life (dear virginians, if you want me to stay here forever, when ever i start talking about leaving take me to downtown to walk around).

the other day i decided to show some of the girls some of my high school notebooks. i think i was trying to prove how undorky i am now by comparing it to how dorky i used to be. this meant i need to find my collages of elijah wood pictures. it was actually pretty entertaining to read and see the stuff i put together. it was like looking at a little time capsule to elaina 10 years ago. a lot of it ridiculously funny. some of it was really sad. and some of it just made me shake my head. some of the highlights:
1. a drawing of 'the super wholesome squad' the super hero duo of laurel and me aka scarlet fever and mysteria.
2. a list of favorite memories which included things like 'the time nichelle and robert rolled down the stairs together' and 'dropping alan on his head'
3. the journal entries... oh the journal entries. mostly they seem to be entirely random little blurbs of life from the particular day. for example:

tuesday 4/23/2002
"Never judge a book by it's movie." J.W. Eagan
Today I kidnapped Laurel and my sister and we went to Disneyland. It was a lot of fun! There was this fun boy who asked for our autographs, and we made Top Ramen. We went to Mimi's afterwards and we had a fun waiter.

tuesday 4/9/2002
"To be a champion you must believe you are the best. If you are not, pretend you are. " Muhammad Ali
We practiced for DTASC. Othello. *hahaha*
Omar said "I like cross dressing a lot" he was talking about mixing brands of clothes but it was funny x 1000!
In all reality we didn't really practice. I stood on the dock and talked with Omar and Perris a lot. It was nice x 1000.
I walked home today just for fun. For the last mile I walked with just one shoe on and the last 1/4 mile no shoes at all.

wednesday 3/6/2002
-I'm really afraid of Dana. Today at lunch Laurel and I were walking around and she said "I had a funny dream" and basically comes down to she asks Jeff if he loves Nichelle and he said yes so she shoots her. And I was like that's NOT funny Dana, and she said well you know who I'll be shooting tonight. And I'm afraid of her. She's crazy.
- Jeyzel is cool! Today after first period he walked by and said something and I gave him this little wire guy I had found. Then today at lunch he was walking with me and Laurel and talking to us a lot. Then later he was behind us again but like coming from the opposite direction. It was SO scary! He's fun and magic!
- At lunch Laurel was sitting on the ground and I was standing and we were talking and this random girl walks up and is like what are you doing and sits down next to her. We both were like WHAT THE?!? It was so funny. It was a very weird lunch today.

4. all the random notes from people and pictures i have taped throughout. it's just interesting to see all of it.
5. the life time line i wrote that puts me married to elijah wood, with a house in la and one in london with elijah jr on the way at this point in life. dream big, little elaina, dream big.

at any rate, the entire thing is pretty entertaining to me. some day i'm going to sit down and read through all of it. maybe submit some to mortified.com. if i ever have the opportunity to do a talent show, i do believe i will do a dramatic reading of these things.

4 comments:

Laurel said...

I totally forgot about the Super Wholesome Squad! Wow that is one of the most embarrassing and also heartwarming things ever.

Good times noodle salad.

Also, why did we walk around so much at lunch?

Elaina said...

I really don't know. Also, I can only recall ever eating chips at lunch. How did I not die?

Elaina said...

Also, there are notes taped in there that practically make me cry. It is my goal to start writing notes to people again because they say such nice things. You know what I mean?

Laurel said...

Yeah, notes are good times. Grown ups don't do that so much!